Though the news is out, I thought I'd go ahead and update a little about the new baby and how things have been going there. Here are the answers to the questions we've been getting.
How I told Peter:
This did not go exactly as I hoped it would...but we ended up with a funny story, anyway. I was in Des Moines when I was able to confirm we were expecting. Peter was in Sioux City still, and wasn't planning to come. I thought I might be pregnant leading up to mothers' day weekend and took a pregnancy test that weekend. When it came back positive, I devised a plan to go out to dinner and tell him. In order to do this, he'd have to come to Des Moines, though! I told him that all I wanted for a mothers' day gift was for him to come and take me out on a date. More specifically, I was planning to tell him by referencing a Vicar of Dibley episode. (we love that show...) On the episode in which Alice discovers she's expecting, she talks about how she did the test and it was negative. She says "no, the hamster didn't turn blue, or anything. ... you get a hamster, and you wee on it, and if it turns blue, you're pregnant!" So, I printed off a picture of a blue hamster
and was planning on showing it to Peter over dinner and seeing how long it took him to guess. All of this was contingent on him actually coming to Des Moines, which he was far too opposed to. It took a big argument on the phone when he didn't respond to my "all I want for mothers' day plan". FINALLY, he agreed to come and when he finally got to Des Moines, was a big tired grump. So much so that he made me angry/sad...enhanced by hormones. So I started bawling, he asked why I was so upset and I thrust the picture at him and said "THAT'S WHY! BECAUSE YOU RUINED IT!" When he looked confused, I said, "What's that a picture of?" He said, "a hamster." Me - "Right, and what color is it?" At this point a look of happy wonder came on his face and I said "AND YOU RUINED IT!" and burst into tears. He gave me a huge hug and once I got over my emotion-rush, we were both able to be thrilled together.
How we told our immediate families:
We sent them this picture:
How our first couple of doctor's appointments went:
The first appointment we had to take Eric with us, and I think the doctor was delivering a baby because we had to wait a while. By the time we finally got to see the doctor, he was bouncing off the walls, but he was good overall. We got to have an ultrasound, which blew both our minds. When we were pregnant the first time, we only got one ultrasound at 21 weeks. So, it was crazy to see our teeny tiny baby wiggling around (much like his/her older brother). S/he even waved hello for us!
The heartbeat was in the low 170s at the first one and in the low 150s at the second appointment. Everything looks good! We also have been tracking my blood pressure - multiple times a day today - in order to make sure we don't have any repeats of the last time. In fact, it's been great! The doctor is convinced that my blood pressure is good and that I have maybe the severest case of White Coat Syndrome (which is, apparently, a real thing) that she's ever seen. For instance. At my last appointment I took my blood pressure before I left. It was in the 120s over 80s. When I took it at the doctor's office? 167/117. So, I told the doctor she should do home visits and she thought that was funny. But at least she believes me that it's just the office that does it.
How I've been feeling:
This time has been SO MUCH DIFFERENT from when I was pregnant with Eric. With him, I had hardly any symptoms. This time, I was nauseous for the entire first trimester...unable to really get off the couch or brush my teeth without major discomfort. I am VERY happy the first trimester has passed. I'm finally getting some energy back and feeling less sick. Now, as long as I eat the SECOND I get a hunger pang (and they often come out of nowhere) I don't really feel sick. Cravings have been ridiculously off the charts. I seem to be craving different things every day. Peter swears that the more difficult symptoms mean that we're having a girl. We will see!
Speaking of what we're having:
We've decided that this time, we're going to find out the sex of the baby. Our ultrasound is scheduled for August 24th, and now that we've decided to find out, we can't wait! We think it'll make talking to Eric about it a little easier. Right now, when I ask him where the baby is, he points to my tummy and then kisses it with a big "MWAH". But he has no idea what's going on. :-) His buddy Evan is going to have a baby sister any day, now, so maybe he'll get a better sense of it as he sees that. I think, regardless, he'll be a good big brother. :-)
Anyway, that's all I can really think of right now. If I've left something out and you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. I'm not shy. :-)
Finally, thank you for all the congratulations and well-wishes! We're all so excited, and can't wait to meet the newest member of our little family!!
Friday, July 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment