Tuesday, January 22, 2013

More on Sam...



Below is the video our photographer put together of some of the videos and pictures she took a few hours after Samuel's birth. We will forever cherish the images of Eric meeting his brother and our family being together for the first time.
Photo and video credits: Andrea Oleson -- http://www.andreagphoto.com/ Music credits: Donal Hinely -- http://www.donalhinely.com/

My blog page is being weird, but you can copy and paste the link into your browser to see the video...I promise it's worth the extra step! :-)

The video: http://vimeo.com/57742370

On the origin of his name:
We had not settled on a name when I was driving to Des Moines with Eric one day and the name Samuel just came to me. I started repeating in my head: "Eric and Sam" and it just seemed to fit. Peter wasn't sure about it at first, but when I first said to him "just think of it as Eric and Sam", that's what sold him! It was as though it was meant to be his name because once I thought of it, it just WAS! Samuel's middle name is Robert after my grandfathers, both of whom I have been very close with my whole life. My maternal grandfather just passed away last year, and it was something I had been thinking about for some time.

On how it's been going since we left the hospital:
Things have been a little roller-coaster-y, but overall we're settling in. Sam eats like a rockstar and has already gained his birthweight and then some back. Eric has taken to being a big brother with a lot more patience than I expected. We've had very few tantrums or meltdowns, and in fact he likes to be helpful. He will take a diaper to the diaper genie, bring us burp rags or blankets, and is very concerned with making sure Sam has his bink, even when he doesn't need it. "Needs his bink!!" We've only had some minor jealousy types of issues, (for which I count myself VERY lucky), and they're usually pretty mild. He might just want to get into my lap at the same time as I'm feeding Sam (we've been utilizing the football hold more - thanks to a suggestion by one of the nurses at the hospital!) so that there's room for Eric on the other side. He also will occasionally try to sit in the vibrating seat or lie on the play gym mat...but besides that, he does pretty well. He doesn't miss too many opportunities to give him a kiss or a gentle pat on the head, and it's adorable to hear him say "Good morning, Sam!" when we walk into his room in the morning holding the baby. I REALLY look forward to when the weather's nicer so we can get out and do more. Between the temperatures and the illnesses going around, we're kind of stuck at home for the time being, but it'd be great if Eric had more opportunities to burn off energy! Still, he's doing great and I really appreciate that fact! Oh, and the addition of the new train table (thank you Grandma Maggie and Grandpa Pete!!!) has definitely helped ease the transition into big brotherhood for him!

Sleeping is...a work in progress. This is the case for all newborns, I know, but it doesn't make it easier. Peter's been very helpful and we're all managing. I look forward to the day when Sam will be in more of a sleep routine and we can all get some better sleep...but we're surviving for the time being! :-)

On how I'm doing, recovery-wise:
I can't emphasize enough how different my recovery has been this time around. I was up and about so much faster after this labor and delivery. I'm healing a lot faster and have had a lot fewer issues all around. Other than exhaustion, my biggest complaint is that my core muscles appear to be completely shot. It's very slow getting going in the morning or after sitting or lying down for any length of time. Until I regain some of the strength in my abdomen and low back, things are going to be a little difficult. I'm sure exhaustion doesn't help with this, either...but ibuprofen does. :-) I look forward to recovering more fully in that respect. But overall, with that exception, it's hard to believe I brought a human being into the world a week and a half ago! Emotionally, I have good and bad days. The hormones make one rather weepy and sentimental (and I'm hyper-sentimental and emotional to begin with, so...you know...) and it's hard to be away from family. But the joy I feel in my children really helps to bring me around. The good days help...I feel accomplishment in getting laundry done, dinner started, or the dishwasher unloaded and reloaded. The bad days (usually after a rough night of little sleep), I just try to relax and rest with the boys (if Eric will let me). With these methods and the help of friends and a supportive husband, I'm keeping my sanity. Once my hormones re-regulate, things will be even easier. I want to take another opportunity to thank everyone who has brought over food (or plans to), who's sent us gifts of clothes and books (including gifts for Eric to help him feel special). For some reason, it's hard to accept help from non-family members, but I've been trying really hard to recognize that everyone who's offered help has been given similar help in the past and knows how hard it can be to be a new parent (even the second time around). I'm so grateful for the support structure of the moms in playgroup and the people Peter works with for all of their help and kind thoughts and actions as we transition into this new phase of our family life. We're very lucky!!

As soon as I have them, I'll post more of the professional photos, but in the meantime, here's an assortment of pictures from the hospital and since we've been home:



No comments:

Post a Comment